3/20/2010

Cherished Trust

Question:
I have a friend who was raped. She made me promise not to tell anyone but I would really like to. Should I break her trust and tell someone, and if so, who?
-A high school sophmore

Answer:
Wow, that is quite a dilema. The short answer is yes, and this is why. After such a traumatic experience your friend will need help healing and processing. She told you because whe wants help and doesn't know where to go for it. The best person to tell is your parent(s). Life lessons will have taught them what to do and where to go for help. If you don't have this kind of relationship with your parents, find someone- an adult- that you trust. A school guidance counselor or principal, a church youth leader, a teacher, a grandparent. If you can't think of anyone that you can go to for help for your friend, tell me. I'll help.


Whaddya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment