8/05/2010

I am a SAHM

I had someone lately, refer to my current occupation as a "Domestic Goddess". Hmmm. I guess so.

I don't have a fancy law degree, although I settle disputes every day. I never went to med school, but I can butterfly a cut like the best of them and diagnose a multitude of illnesses from ear infections to pink eye. I never got an accounting degree, but I balance the budget every month, much better than the government. My psychology classes never ended with any kind of fancy certificate, but I listen to problems and offer advice on a regular basis.

I am a Mom. Everyday.

My day starts in the wee hours of the morning and goes until the wee hours of the next morning. I don't get vacation time, paid or otherwise and I don't get holidays. The pay is nonexistant and I get peed on, pooped on and thrown up on more than I care to admit.
I have to make it a conscience decision to close the restroom door in public, because I haven't used the bathroom alone in 8 years. I stay up late folding mounds of laundry while everyone else watches tv. I am constantly on the go and get the "you have your hands full" comment from strangers on a regular basis.

BUT, I get to play in the playland at McDonalds. I get to make a fool of myself dancing in my family room until I'm too tired to move. I can play kick ball in the backyard and swing so high that my feet touch the sky. I can go for a walk and marvel at the frogs, baby bunnies and birds. I can walk across a log and not care when I fall into the stream below. I can play at the beach until I am covered in sand. I can go to bed without having the dishes done because I was too busy playing games. I can read stories every day. I get paid in kisses.

I am a Mom. You can call it a "Domestic Godess" and I'll probably buy whatever you are selling if you do. But, the fact is, I am just a Stay At Home Mom. And I couldn't be more prouder or more thrilled because being a mom... rocks.

4 comments:

  1. Jenny Phillips posted this recently - I thought it would be good to share.

    Perspective

    Perspective #1
    Doing laundry is miserable. Just when I finish 8 loads and finally put it away, the laundry baskets are overflowing again. My baby won't sleep. My kids are always fighting, complaining, whining, screaming, and moaning. My husband's high council meeting lasted 3 and a half hours, and I had to mow the lawn myself. It takes two hours to get my kids in bed, and there is never any extra time for myself.

    Perspective #2
    I am the head laundress for a very royal family. I have found that my chubby little baby loves to be propped up in all the laundry while I fold it and talk baby language with him. One day the mound of laundry reaching half way up to my ceiling will be a small mound of just mine and my husbands laundry, and I will have no chubby little baby to keep me company while I fold it. I also have the title of head tutor for this royal family. Everyday I have the opportunity to teach and train four little souls about the gospel, being kind, and developing a noble character. And in the meantime, they are helping mold and stretch me into a person of much deeper charity. Sometimes I get to be the head gardener. I even got to mow the lawn and smell fresh cut grass and watch the dark rain clouds float lazily in the sky while feeling my muscles work out. Perhaps one of my most loved titles is head bed tucker inner. For 2 hours I get to brush little white teeth, read and tell stories, listen to little voices asking for water, stuffed animals and special blankets. I get exercise as I put my 3 year old back in bed 30 times. And then I get to rock a little chubby baby and see him stop drinking his bottle and smile when I start to sing. Perspective changes everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me. I love it too.

    ReplyDelete