4/08/2011

The Price of a Free Society

It seems that my comment of Planned Parenthood in my last post has sparked some debate.

As much as I would love it if every woman could get free mammograms, prenatal care, birth control, etc, I'm just not sure that it is the government's responsibility and frankly, they just can't afford it anymore. I remember being in college, we were poor, and my health insurance did not cover my birth control. The $34 a month just about killed us, but it came out of our monthly budget. I remember my prescription being changed to a different brand and when I saw it cost $38 a month, I almost cried. The $4 a month made that much of a difference. But, we paid it, because that was the cost of living and we had a responsibility.

I think that somewhere along the way, these government programs that were made to "help" us, have enabled the American people and encouraged them to feel entitled. Entitled to free health care. Entitled to free cell phones and Internet. Entitled to free little league. Maybe little league and health care aren't on the same page, but where is the line? If everyone expected a free life, there would be no one left to pay for it.

I struggle with this daily with my own kids. They live in a world where everyone has everything and they think they deserve it too. I work hard to teach them patience and gratitude, hard work and responsibility. I am responsible for teaching this to them. We are all responsible for our own actions and the consequences that follow.

At some point, we need to expect America to be responsible for themselves, and then maybe the rest of America would be more willing to help those who were truly in need.

Whaddya think?

1 comment:

  1. When Benjamin Franklin was asked "What have you given us?", he responded by saying "A republic....if you can keep it". Self Determination is a precious right that our Founding Fathers and other brave American's fought for and gave their all for. Self Determination is a freedom we vacate when we enslave ourselves to entitlements from the government. The cost is too high. The high cost is not only from limiting our freedom, but also from burdening financial cost of the biggest 3 entitlements. Namely, they are Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. It makes up ~2/3 of the budget. The issues being touted today don't even touch the big 3....so we are still seriously compromised even without the "Planned Parenthood" straw that may break the camel's back today.

    So, in regard to our precious Republic....let's "keep it" and hold to our values. This issue isn't about women's health etc, it is about the priviledge of freedom and Self-Determination. I hope that cooler heads prevail....

    ReplyDelete