11/08/2012

A Nation Divided: Why I Think Obama Won

(If you follow me on Facebook, I apologize, much of this has been said there...)

I believe in charity.  I whole heartedly believe that we should help those who are less fortunate than us, and I do, in large amounts, but there is a difference between helping and enabling.  No matter how many programs we form, life will never be fair.  My mother died, your didn't.  My husband had holes in his shoes growing up, I didn't.  My children are healthy, someone else's are sick.  Life will never be fair.  Many of the so called 'freebies' handed out by the government today are America's way of trying to make life fair, but laws and programs shouldn't be made to make life fair; they should be made to better society as a whole.  I believe, these 'freebies' should be helping people get back on their feet, but more often they are teaching people to rely on the government to support them.  Obama won because much of America has developed this sense of entitlement. 'You have it, so I should too.' 'You owe me this because I am a human being.'  America doesn't 'owe' you just because your life isn't fair.

To be clear- I have NO problem with government funding supporting those who absolutely cannot support themselves.  The very old, the very sick, the disabled, etc.  Those people absolutely deserve help and support.  Helping those, who truly cannot help themselves in not enabling.  Enabling is helping all of those who CAN help themselves , but choose not too because there are government funding options.

I don't believe that paying for abortions (which I am morally opposed to- but required to fund), free needle exchanges and some one's food and living expenses while they are receiving a high quality higher education because they don't want to work through school or take out student loans (all while I am still paying off my own student loans because I thought my education was MY responsibility) is not helping the poor and needy.  Sure, it will help them in the short term, but it won't help them in the long term.  I believe in self reliance as much as I believe in charity.  Our charity should be helping the poor become self reliant.  Some times that is with food and shelter and a hand up, but not to the extent that the government issues now.  No free needle exchange ever helped an addict kick their habit.
Our society would be better off in the long run if we taught those less fortunate to fish rather than giving them fish, shelter and free higher education.  No great thing was ever achieved without sacrifice and effort.

Let me close by saying that although I did not vote for Obama, I do not think he is the devil reincarnate. I may not agree with his politics and policies, but I do think that he is trying his best to do what he believes is in the best interest for our country.  And, now that he has been elected, even though I don't agree with his policies, he deserves our prayers and support.

Whaddya think?

as a p.s.- I know politics are a HEATED topic and I'm sure you have opinions of your own.  If you can't express your political opinion without rudeness and malice, MOVE ON.  Hatefulness is not welcome here.  Everyone has a right to their opinion, and I'm happy to listen to it.  But that is what every political side is- someone's opinion based on a theory.  And all theories have statics and studies to back them up.  So feel free to express your opinion, but BE KIND.



No comments:

Post a Comment